Random Thoughts

I can now safely say that I do not want to do research as a career.  It is a lot of work and never goes how you intend it to.  When I last mentioned my project, I had missed a week of research because I went to San Jose.  So last week I was able to put out the bat recorders on Monday and I got them on Saturday.

  • Bad news: the batteries that I thought were new were not, so in one of the recorders I only got one night of data instead of five nights.
  • Good news: My professors were able to find a PC so I can use the good computer program.  For the past two days I've been using a program that is made for bird calls and it doesn't work very well for bat calls because bat calls are much shorter and at a much higher frequency.
  • Bad news: my professor told us he would be getting to Tirimbina at 2 yesterday so I thought I would have the afternoon to work.  Instead he didn't get here until 5 which is when I leave with my host mom.  I was going to go on a hike today with some people who are volunteering here, but instead I have to wait for my professor and work on the computer.
Besides my research project everything is going great!  Sofia, my oldest host sister painted my nails yesterday.  I've started playing hide and go seek and talking on banana telephones and whatever else Sol, my 7 year old sister can think of.  Then my middle host sister Stephany loves english music, especially One Direction so I've been helping her understand the songs.  Her english is really good so she doesn't need much help.  Also we found out that we have to same birthday!
This is our house.
A giant spider at Tirimbina.
This frog was trying to get into the bathroom at Tirimbina.

No comments:

Post a Comment