The Little Things

Here is a list of all the differences (good and bad) that I have noticed between Costa Rica and the US.
  • Fresh fruits (mangos and avocados are my favorite so far) that are easily accessible and really cheap.  There are trucks full of fruits on my walk to class every day and I was able to get two avocados and a mango for $2!
  • Chikys- shortbread cookies with chocolate on the bottom.  There isn't really anything special about them or different than cookies in the US but they are really good.
  • The plumbing is really old everywhere so you can't put toilet paper in the toilet.  In all of the bathrooms there are trash cans that you put toilet paper in.
  • The showers have these giant shower heads that electrically heat up the water while it passes through the shower head.  So you can either have a hot shower with no water pressure, or a cold shower with a lot of water pressure.  Your choice...
  • Public transportation is amazing, easy, convenient, and cheap.  To get from my house to class is about 50 cents.
  • This morning there was a large cockroach crawling around my room.
  • I need 3 keys to get into my house.  One for the garage door that looks like a fence, then there is a door that is just bars, then there is the actually door.  Then there is an alarm system (but that is never used).                                               
  • Drivers and motorcyclists are crazy here.  Everyone honks all the time to say thank you, hello, hey watch out, stop I'm going, etc.  Pedestrians do not have the right of way.
  • Children live with their parents for a lot longer here.  It's normal for people to live at home while they go to college and sometimes even once they get married.
  • There are so many amazing animals.  For example:
 Osos Perezosos!!
I'm going on a field trip tomorrow and Saturday to a chocolate, banana, and pineapple farm that has sloths so stayed tuned for a lot more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment